Aaj rockstar kal pilot
And who knows wht the day after
Kabhi kisi anjaan station par utar kar dekho
Kabhi kisi gumnaam sheher ka ticket katao
Doosron ki galtiyo se kya seekhna
Make ur own mistakes yaar
I never resemble a passport photo for more than 3 months
Har subha - shock ur reflection
Explore
Bachpan main hum kya kuch nahi ban na chahte the
Why not today
Be born everyday
This is an ad... an ad for Titan watches... With Aamir khan in it!!
Its only one line, in the whole of this monologue, tht has inspired this blog...
"bachpan main hum kya kuch nahi ban na chahte the... Y not today"
This got me thinking... Main bachpan main kya ban na chahti thi... and would it really make sense now...!!!
hmm... begin flash back...:-)
As I recall, I wanted to be every one I saw during my bachpan...
When I saw Steffi Graf playing tennis, I wanted to be a tennis player, a successful one!
When I saw gymnasts, I wanted to be like them... so that others would wow at me...!!
When I saw dancers in boogie woogie, I wanted to dance all my life... both classical and filmy mind you!
When I saw Priety Zinta in liril ad, believe it or not, I wanted to be like her too... But I strongly feel tht was cos she was playing in a beautiful waterfall...
But the point is, the list goes on...
I wanted to be a singer, swimmer, painter, teacher, skii'er(?), astrounaut even! At one time I desperately wanted to work for ISRO, and huddle around the complicated gadjets and gizmos, while the count down goes 10 to 1 before blast off!!!
But the oldest chahat I had, as I have been told by my parents and relatives, was - that I wanted to be a Dulhan!!
YES
You read it right...
All I wanted was to be a bride and get married... Cos I wanted to be in the building decorated with 'baNNa baNNa deepa' (color color lights) and be dressed in the most beautiful of sarees and be the centre of attention for everybody!! Whenever I say this, my mom would say, 'but you'd hav to leave us all and go away to ur husband's house, will u leave us all and go away like that?'. huh sentiment... I was nothing less though... I would say ' yochne maadbedamma, alli hogteeni, avru oota maaduvaga, mosaranna haakibittu, horaginda baaglu haakkondu vooooodi wapas illige bandbidteeni... ' translated as - 'dont worry mom, I will go there, when hez having lunch, I will serve him food, and then when he is eating curd rice, I will run out of the house, lock the door from out side and run all the way back to this house' HAHAHA.
But hey, getting back to the topic... Looking back at what all I wanted to be...
Tennis player - of course I could have been one, but I am pretty damn sure the service wouldnt go past the net, ever!!
Gymnast - well, nahhhhhhh, it needs too much decipline and practice...
Dancer - I would still like to think that I can dance, but I am painfully reminded that its easier said than done, whenever, very very rarely, I try my hand (feet) at a step...
Priety Zinta - Anyone who knows me knows that I am always game to play in water... Never with a bikini though ;-)
Singer - I might not become an Indian Idol or anything... But I might have been a decent singer, if only I wasnt such a adamant and stubborn jackA**... I do sing though, and ppl can bear to hear it, so not a completely lost battle there...
But all that said, these were more of fantasies than dreams. I am sure all of us have had those in our 'growing up' days. Looking back today, do I really see myself as a tennis player or an astronaut? The clear and plain answer is 'no'. So I guess all that we wanted to be in our childhood arent really what we want to be or do in real life... The fantasies grow into dreams, become more accurate and practical over the years as we gradually become aware of what we really want to do with our lives.
I agree, we might still not be doing what we thought we wanted to do when we were in college... Why, I didnt think I would be working with printers for so many years when I was in college, I wanted to be in DSP or real time programming or something similar, surely much more exciting and challenging than testing printers. I guess some day I would decide to quit and do something, somewhere close to that, but frankly I dont know. Like most of us, I have also been flowing along, with the river of life, where ever it took... But hey wait, I had always pictured myself as financially independent, that I am... I had wanted me to have a professional life and a personal life, that I have... I had wanted a group of friends that I can introduce to family and hav fun with them, I have that too. So I guess its not an empty glass altogether, it could have been better though, but lets look at it as glass half full shall we...
But let me tell you folks, the day I decide on doing all that!!!!!!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Well, my husband better be careful... He might find himself locked inside the house with curd rice in his hands... :-)
The Ad in question -
4 comments:
where were you all these days nee.???
U seem to forget there are many who turn out to be astronauts!!! they worked for it. as u grew up u decided it wasnt possible and u let it go, u waited to see what the next day brought to u rather than what it should bring...
'A man without desire is dead', thats what dreams are all about givin us a life lettin us live it. some ppl do live their dreams and as for others - "MOST FAIL TO TRY NOT FOR THE FEAR OF FAILURE RATHER FOR THE FEAR THAT THEY MAY ACTUALLY SUCCEED"
The difference though bro, is did I REALLY want to be an astronaut...? For me, no I didnt... These were just 'in that second or max minute'. Thats why I called them fantasies!
Hmmm … childhood autograph na gnapisidhiya maga … firstly, this is a very beautiful idea indeed and reinstates “Let child in u never die” …
I know you cannot be a gymnast because u might have to give up sleep and laziness for it, and u call yourself a decent singer? hmm victims know better and I am one of those … but I like the fact that u accept about yourself… “adamant”.
Run away back to ur mom’s place giving him curd rice?? HAHAHAHA … but being with for 4 years now, I guess your husband would already be locking up himself in a room most of times to escape the mischievous sprite ;-)
But I am surprised that you did not dreamed to be a painter?? Which you are now …
Hmmm keep dreaming more and be born every day as you are now …
Inspired by ur blog... Remembering the childhood, I drew this today...
http://picasaweb.google.com/kihtrak.s/Art/photo?authkey=KCCymtJ-oZc#5239453018605122098
A picture that I have loved to draw and color so many times as a kid.
Post a Comment