Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Invictus


Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
... For my unconquerable soul.


In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.


Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.


It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henely

2 comments:

tHe BuLL said...

Nice one! Wish it was REALLY true ;)

Especially-
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The "I" word is just an illusion, it is usually the US and WE that governs what I perceives. Nevertheless the feeling of "I" is required to make progress as "WE"

Vini Kashyap said...

Ahhhaaa, marriage effect joragide... ;-)

Poem talks abt the fact tht you hold the key to what your life becomes, you make your life wht it is... and so the "I" there - is very much an "I"...

Read this in an article some time back, refers to the "we" u speak of... fits here I think ->

A Bond tht contains only 2 human beings, stripped of every precondtion (dont bring up modern prenups here :) )
I am on a journey towards myself and he, in a jouney towards himself...
Each unable to continue without the other.

See, the "I" has to be retained to reach wht U seek/search, cos both of u need to be going the same way seeking the same thing... wht say?